Monday, January 12, 2009

Sydney.. Our little trooper


The Tuesday before Christmas Sydney went to Huntsman for more testing. They did a PET scan, which is a specialize test to check for lymphoma. Whoever scheduled Sydney's tests forgot to schedule with the anesthesiologist. The testing required her to be enclosed in a tube much like a CAT scan, only it lasted over three hours. The doctors like to patience to be asleep because it is just to hard to lay perfectly still for that long and not get scared being enclosed in the tube. Since there was not an anesthesiologist we could either reschedule (which meant after the first of the year when we didn't have the insurance) or try the scan with her awake. Sydney said that she wanted to try, she knew she wasn't suppose to move. She was so brave, she didn't even cry when they started her IVs, (even though the took it out and forgot about that the radiation need to be by an IV too) so they had to start another one. I wasn't even allowed to touch her because the radiation levels they injected into her body were so strong it wasn't safe for me. The doctors let me go in the scanning area to be with her. I wasn't able to touch her for the entire three hours, but I talked to her. We told stories and sang Christmas songs. I cannot believe how great she did. She never moved...not even once. After I was telling Sydney what a great job she did and how proud I was of her, she told me that Jesus had helped her be good, and also the fact the Santa Clause was coming the next day... I am amazed with modern medicine, although I wish doctors knew everything. There are still things that remain a mystery even to the doctors, at those times all we have is to trust Heavenly Father and remember that he loves these sweet little children just as much as I do and He knows how to help them.

5 comments:

Katie McCaul said...

That is so brave of her. It makes me sick to think about sitting still for that long. She is a special girl.
Looks like a fun Christmas with family. take care

Sarah said...

I don't think I have the capabililty to stay still for that long...unless I'm sleeping. What a brave little girl. I sure hope you get some answers soon! :)

Amber Baker said...

Wow-what an amazing little girl, and mom!

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

That is super amazing. I agree with Sarah, I would have to be sleeping. That's so wonderful that she had special help.

Melanie Hahn said...

What an amazing little girl! I love that she said Jesus helped her, that's so sweet!

Fishing in Herriman

Fishing in Herriman
Kaley's big one. Kaley didn't have the patience to cast and wait for the fish to bite. I'm not sure how she managed to leave the pole in the water long enough to catch anything.

Kristyn fishing (kind of)

Kristyn fishing (kind of)
I think Kristyn would rather sit back and relax, and stay as far away from the fish as possible

Sydney' fish

Sydney' fish
Sydney was getting tired of fishing so she was reeling in the line to pack up and go home. She couldn't beleive it that there was a fish attached to the end of the pole

Blayne was ready for fishing before anyone

Blayne was ready for fishing before anyone
Blayne is quite the fishing pro. He has his own spiderman pole and his fishing hat.